Today was the deadline and hand in for project 3, I felt that the presentation went fairly well although we could have done with more organisation and preparation for the actual presentation. However there was points in the project where I did enjoy working with other people in a team but would much prefer to work individually in any project. Reason being that not every member of the group put the same amount of effort in and I felt this let the team down. From the feedback after the presentation I felt there was more strong points about the product than bad and there was good ideas to develop and improve the product further which I hope as a team we take on board and do.
As mentioned before me and Joe in the group took the responsibility of making the final models of the design. Whilst Joe concentrated more on the CAD model I started to create the basic outline shape on the lathe of the real life model. Joe then later came and painted and assembled the model and used part of the CAD drawing to represent the animal head using 3D printing.
We then set about the tasks that needed to be completed and each others strong points and allocated certain tasks, mine was to create a styles and shapes mood board of existing products to gather inspiration for the final design and also to come up with a list of facts about drinking water. Also me and Joe to team up and jointly create the final models for the presentation.
Now we knew what our final product was to be we could make our final brief to suite what the product needed to be, this was:
“To design a straw that encourages children to drink more water as part of a healthy diet. The straw should be Suitable for children aged 3-10 years old, both boys and girls, and Affordable for all class families. The straw should also somehow flavour water and be durable for children’s to use. It must also be light enough to hold and to carry around for children. The straw should appeal to a vast age group through its styling for both boys and girls to find appealing. The straw should fit into existing cups and also be sized using anthropometric data to better suit its use for children.”
We each then put our 3 developed ideas back into the matrix to find the best one which was Carys’s mouse straw.
From the results of the 1st matrix evaluation we then each took the 3 best ideas and developed them further with sketches and drawings, this is what I came up with:
First was taking Carys’s straw concept and making it more interactive to the child. There would be a selection of shapes and flavours that the child could choose from being a fruit or their favourite TV character. They would then take this piece which would have the flavouring in and insert it into the straw and drink the water through it.
The second was my own idea of the mood lit cupboard. I took this idea further by having removable shelves within the cupboards this would then limit the amount of food that the person would want to have in a particular food category. E.g.: smaller cupboard for high fat and sugar foods and bigger spaces for fruit and vegetables. Chilled draws would also be included for foods that would need to be preserved this way.
The third idea was Joe’s diet planner, I took this idea and integrated it into the kitchen firstly with a built in TV on the wall. This would be the centre of the system and would hold everyone’s information and progress and suggest hints how to improve. It would also double up as a television and also a recipe planner to work through whilst cooking. This would be partnered with an app which could be used on mobile phones and tablets where the individual enters data throughout the day.
We each put all of our design ideas into the matrix to find the best 3 which came out as: my mood lit cupboard, Joe’s diet system planner and Carys’s straw.