I have thoroughly enjoyed this first project and my first few weeks at university it has taught me a lot about myself and the course. From this project I have found some key areas that I need to improve within the next couple of months:
– Sketching skills
– Techniques with blue foam
My main weakness is sketching skills, this is through lack of practise and being taught previously. This is something I really want to improve and feel I can greatly by researching through books and practising techniques, which I will be doing in the near future to boost my skill level. Following onto this is the use of colour and rendering, this is something that I have never done before that I also need to teach myself how to do as it is an effective way of improving the standard of my sketching. Finally it came to my attention that I could also improve on my accuracy and my manner of working with materials to give a better quality finish, this is also something I wish to improve on as it will set a higher standard for my work.
From Mondays initial construction I was now able to add other parts and detail to the clay as I had let it dry and was now much more workable. I cut and added pieces like the buttons on top and the base, also etched lines into the surface to add extra shape and detail where materials join. The only thing I forgot to do was the line around the middle of the product to simulate it being in two halves. Once I had completed the model I asked Matt for feedback and he said “it was a very good attempt at a first model considering I had not used clay before”. From this I was happy and would have improved bits myself, adding more attention to detail, if I would of had longer to work on the model. I would defiantly use clay again for future models as it a relatively easy and satisfying material to work with.
On Monday I was given a workshop by Matt in ceramics on some basic skills how to form and shape clay. I used some of these techniques such as rolling and hollowing out to create this basic shape of my product as seen above. He then recommended to me that I left the clay for several hours to dry out so that I could come back and work with it further and add detail as it would be much easier to handle.
For the second blue foam model I took the advice I was given previously and developed my skills in making it more to scale and also more precise and detailed. However I still struggled to work with the material so it comes out with a smooth finish, so this is something I really need to focus on more over the next few weeks. This was the criticism again that I was too harsh with the material and that I could even develop my precision and detail further with engineering tools such as a vernier gauge.
I personally felt that my first model in blue foam went well as I got a very similar shape to the actual object. However it was criticised for not being to scale and lacking in detail, also me being too harsh with the material. I felt these points to be true on reflection and something I would take on board for future model making.
From the advice given to me by the second years I then practised a simple two point perspective with various hollowing effects by different lines and thicknesses.
Even though this sketch isn’t a great representation of my product. The second year students taught me how to use perspective and construction lines to create a more realistic representation of an object. This exercise also helped me interact with people from the second year and to be able to communicate with them and ask for advice from them in the future. They were also able to tell me my weak points with my original drawings and how to improve them with practise.