Individual Field Conclusion

Compared to the first terms project I enjoyed this field module much more as I prefer to do a longer and more detailed project than a short one. I did find it difficult at the beginning as the brief was very open but once I had chosen my track things started to fall into place. This term has also helped me set the pace and standard I need to be working at next year to achieve the grade I wanted by the end of my three years. The topic of the project has been very enjoyable as it’s something I chose myself and of a personal interest so haven’t had a dull moment. The most valuable skill I have learnt in this part of the module is using CAD and in particular SolidWorks in a lot more detail to achieve a good standard presentation board. My hand sketching and rendering has dramatically improved since the first term, which has developed through practise, different techniques that I hadn’t previously been introduced to and project work. I cant wait to start next year’s field module as I have learnt so much about myself and my knowledge has grown and I want to put all of this into practise and improve next year.


CAD – Final Design

Since returning back from the Easter break I have spent all week creating my CAD features board, in context and exploded view with bill of materials boards.

In Context Features Board

Exploaded View and Bill of Materials 2


Final Design Sketches

During the Easter break I also completed my last 3 final design sketches in relation to my feedback from the formative assessment before the holidays. I came up with a basic concept for raising all the seats in a single carriage by a hydraulics system in the walls of the train. So the operator would now only have to push a button to raise and lower the seat, then would have to lift or drop the backs into place along with folding out the base support. This does still involve manual work but doesn’t require much effort, especially compared to having to lift the complete seat upwards. As part of my design I wanted to make the carriage more organised so included a new seating plan and graphics design for the station floor.

img031img030

img032


Completed Final Model

Over the Easter holidays I took my model home to finish off to a presentable quality.

20140502_102911 20140502_102919


Formative Assessment

This morning we had our formative assessments with Martijn, he gave me good feedback and similar to Paul he liked the concept to a obvious problem and my simple solution. He suggested that I looked for inspiration in compact and fold away camping equipment to see if I could make the folding chair anymore efficient or easier to manufacture and operate. As well as this I could consider in making the whole system automated from a control panel to reduce setting up and collapsing time. Finally to strengthen my concept of standing in commuting times, ask regular train users if they would be happy to travel in this way.


Final Design Sketches

I spent this weekend sketching out my final design: in context, features board and orthographic views, ready for assessment over the next two days. For final submission I still need to complete a hand drawn seating plan of the carriage set along with these sketches.

img023 img022

img024

 


Final Stages of Detailed Model

Today I spent all day finishing off my final model, I am not totally happy with the finish on the materials but I feel it communicates the function well. However I do plan to paint the whole model before final submission as I believe this will improve the appearance. Adding to what I completed yesterday, I found some soft foam which I cut and stuck onto the seating area to add a textured effect. I also made a section of a scaled down carriage to half window height which I attached the seats into to get a feel of context and added arm rests for a feature.

20140324_13295920140324_133454