Compared to the first terms project I enjoyed this field module much more as I prefer to do a longer and more detailed project than a short one. I did find it difficult at the beginning as the brief was very open but once I had chosen my track things started to fall into place. This term has also helped me set the pace and standard I need to be working at next year to achieve the grade I wanted by the end of my three years. The topic of the project has been very enjoyable as it’s something I chose myself and of a personal interest so haven’t had a dull moment. The most valuable skill I have learnt in this part of the module is using CAD and in particular SolidWorks in a lot more detail to achieve a good standard presentation board. My hand sketching and rendering has dramatically improved since the first term, which has developed through practise, different techniques that I hadn’t previously been introduced to and project work. I cant wait to start next year’s field module as I have learnt so much about myself and my knowledge has grown and I want to put all of this into practise and improve next year.
I believe that the group field module has provided me with an invaluable experience to learning this year and pushed me out my comfort zone ready for the next 2 years of challenges. Firstly it has given me more friendships within the school that I wouldn’t of had without the module. I now have greater confidence in meeting new people from different disciplines and from this working together in a group collaboration to achieve something at the end of it. I can see how this relates to future employment having to work alongside a graphic designer for example when launching a new product to market, taking their knowledge and opinion into account. Overall I feel the best part of the project for me is the new skills I have learnt in using plaster and ceramics, I feel I am at a level in which I could go into the workshop myself and use the materials in another project and produce a good quality item. Personally I feel I took the lead and ran the project at times, this gives me the confidence that maybe one day I can manage my own employees in business.
Since returning back from the Easter break I have spent all week creating my CAD features board, in context and exploded view with bill of materials boards.
During the Easter break I also completed my last 3 final design sketches in relation to my feedback from the formative assessment before the holidays. I came up with a basic concept for raising all the seats in a single carriage by a hydraulics system in the walls of the train. So the operator would now only have to push a button to raise and lower the seat, then would have to lift or drop the backs into place along with folding out the base support. This does still involve manual work but doesn’t require much effort, especially compared to having to lift the complete seat upwards. As part of my design I wanted to make the carriage more organised so included a new seating plan and graphics design for the station floor.
Over the Easter holidays I took my model home to finish off to a presentable quality.
This morning we had our formative assessments with Martijn, he gave me good feedback and similar to Paul he liked the concept to a obvious problem and my simple solution. He suggested that I looked for inspiration in compact and fold away camping equipment to see if I could make the folding chair anymore efficient or easier to manufacture and operate. As well as this I could consider in making the whole system automated from a control panel to reduce setting up and collapsing time. Finally to strengthen my concept of standing in commuting times, ask regular train users if they would be happy to travel in this way.
I spent this weekend sketching out my final design: in context, features board and orthographic views, ready for assessment over the next two days. For final submission I still need to complete a hand drawn seating plan of the carriage set along with these sketches.